Allergy sufferers are being urged to use condoms for oral sex after a woman went into anaphylactic shock – because she swallowed her partner’s semen.
After being rushed to hospital struggling to breathe, the unnamed 31-year-old told doctors that she had an allergy to penicillin, but denied taking any.
It then transpired that her partner had been given a course of amoxicillin-clavulanic, a form of the antibiotic, to treat a ear infection he was suffering from.
A woman went into anaphylactic shock after her partner took penicillin and she gave him oral sex (Picture: Shutterstock)He had taken one of the pills just four hours before she performed oral sex, which worked it’s way into his semen and into her mouth.
The woman, from Alicante, Spain, was treated with adrenaline and steroids to control the reaction and she was breathing normally within six hours.
Body found in hunt for missing backpacker Catherine Shaw in GuatemalaShe was later sent home and made a full recovery, without needing a follow up appointment.
Susana Almenara, lead author of the report in the British Medical Journal has suggested people with allergies should resort to using some protection before getting intimate with their partners.
She said: ‘We think that as clinicians, it is important to be aware of this phenomenon so as to inform and prevent potentially serious reactions in sensitised patients.
This is thought to be the first example of someone suffering a reaction to penicillin through oral sex (Picture: Getty)
‘We also recommend condom use during treatment with drugs that can induce hypersensitivity responses in partners.’
This is thought to be the first example of someone suffering a reaction to penicillin through oral sex, although there have been examples through kissing in the past.
Ms Almenara added: ‘As clinicians, we consider that it is important to be aware of the existence of this possibility both in the diagnosis and in the prevention of anaphylactic reactions.’