Teenager dies after tapeworm lays dozens of eggs in his brain

0
10
Teenager dies after tapeworm lays dozens of eggs in his brain



A TEENAGER died after dozens of tapeworm cysts had been buried into his brain leaving him unconscious.
The unnamed 18-year-old was taken to hospital after suffering violent seizures, doctors said.
New England Journal of Medicine A teenager died after doctors discovered dozens of tapeworm cysts had buried into his brain, causing him to suffer violent seizures
After examining the patient, they said he appeared confused and noticed he had a swelling over his right eye, as well as a swollen right testicle.
The unnamed teen’s parents told medics he’d also been complaining of a pain in his groin over the last week.Scans revealed shocking results
Doctors at the ESIC Medical College and Hospital in Faridabad, India, sent the teenager for scans.
And the results of an MRI left them stunned.
It showed his brain was dotted with parasitic cysts, caused by a severe tapeworm infection.
The cysts were buried in the outer layer of the man’s brain, as well as in his brain stem, according to a case report in the New England Journal of Medicine.
He also had cysts in his right eye and testicles, doctors noted.
Severe tapeworm infection from pork
Medics diagnosed him with a condition called neurocysticerosis – a tapeworm infection typically the result of eating infected pork.
It’s a preventable infection that attacks the central nervous system, according to the World Health Organisation.
MRI of the head showed numerous well-defined cystic lesions throughout the cerebral cortex and the brain stem and cerebellum that were consistent with neurocysticercosisMedics treating the teenager
The condition begins when a person ends up eating infected meat.
They develop an intestinal tapeworm infection, known as taeniasis.
But when it’s left untreated, it can trigger the more serious neurocysticerosis.
This is when tapeworm eggs built up in the patient’s central nervous system, muscles, skin and eyes.
Neurocysticerosis is the most serious form of tapeworm infection, and is a common cause of epilepsy and seizures across the world.Teenager couldn’t be saved
In this case, doctors said the number of tapeworm cysts invading the teenager’s body meant anti-parasitic medications typically used, weren’t an option.
In severe cases like this, the drugs can make inflammation in the brain worse, making the condition more deadly.
Instead, medics gave the man steroids and anti-epileptic drugs.
But, they couldn’t save the teenager, who died two weeks later.
9ft tapeworm removed from another patient
Last year, doctors in Singapore were stunned to find a 9ft tapeworm growing inside a man’s stomach, after years of eating sushi.
The worm was so long it had to be folded 18 times to fit into a photograph, taken by medics at Singapore’s General Hospital.
FULL UP Docs remove 1ft of OAP’s bowel after it nearly ‘exploded’ from severe constipation MEE-OWW Cat scratch left teen suicidal, wanting to kill family & believing he’s devil’s son LISTEN UP! Man develops killer BRAIN infection after using cotton buds to clean his ears MIND BLOWING Woman had a STROKE while lover gave her oral sex as orgasm caused brain bleed GULP! Woman suffers anaphylactic shock after oral sex – because lover had taken penicillin BRAIN BUSTER Amazing scans show boy’s brain repaired itself after docs remove tumour IMPO-TANNED Man left with agonising 22-hour erection from illegal tanning jab STONED X-ray reveals stones and coins in stomach of man ‘who ATE them to calm anxiety’ GUT FEELING Athlete nearly dies when toothpick punctures artery weeks after he swallowed it SHAMELESS OAP’s ‘inappropriate masturbating’ in front of family caused by ‘silent’ stroke WarningBUNGED UP Man develops ‘megacolon’ and has entire bowel removed after severe constipation EYE SAY! Woman mistakenly prescribed erectile dysfunction cream for dry EYES left in agony
Despite the length of the tapeworm, the patient had shown no signs or symptoms to hint at the parasite lurking in his intestines.
Meanwhile, doctors in China removed more than 30 tapeworm eggs from a man’s brain after he suffered sudden blackouts.
The 46-year-old patient had been suffering symptoms for six months before he went to hospital.
Scans showed “sack-like” objects inside the man’s head and doctors operating were shocked to find they were eggs and live worms buried in his brain tissue.
The patient was also suffering neurocysticercosis, which doctors warn can go undiagnosed for long periods of time, prompting some to describe it as a “hidden epidemic”, particularly in poorer parts of the world.
New England Journal of Medicine Despite doctors trying to treat the infection, the teenager died two weeks later

We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online news team? Email us at tips@the-sun.co.uk or call 0207 782 4368 . You can WhatsApp us on 07810 791 502. We pay for videos too. Click here to upload yours.

 

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here