Nine arrested and three police officers injured as Spurs and Ajax fans clash in violent scenes

Nine arrested and three police officers injured as Spurs and Ajax fans clash in violent scenes

NINE fans were arrested and three police officers were injured after violent clashes between Tottenham and Ajax supporters.
Rival fans squared off in the streets before and after the Champions League semi-final first leg at Spurs’ stadium.
YouTube Police made nine arrests ahead of Tottenham’s Champions League tie with Ajax
YouTube Horses were used to try and deal with the two sets of supporters near the new Spurs stadium
YouTube Three officers suffered non-serious injuries as they tried to stop fans hurling missiles
Scotland Yard confirmed four people were arrested as police stepped in while a group of fans launched missiles outside the ground at around 7.15pm, according to the Daily Mirror.
It is understood that is when the three officers sustained their injuries – which are non-serious – and five further arrests were made prior to kick-off in separate incidents, the Metropolitan Police said.
And tempers flared again on High Road after the game, just along from the new stadium.
Glass bottles and cones were launched between the two sets of fans and some kicks were swung at rivals.
But from footage it appears no one was seriously injured as the taunts did not materialise into fist fights despite lots of shouting.
One video is understood to show a group of Ajax supporters advancing on Spurs fans with the North Londoners retreating before trying to stand up to the apparent troublemakers.
The fracas took place despite stewards holding the Dutch club’s fans inside the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium for a while after the full-time whistle.
Ajax and Tottenham fans fight in the streets outside White Hart Lane – throw glass bottles and road cones at each other
Earlier in the evening, Spurs were dealt a major blow in their hopes of reaching the Champions League final.
Donny van de Beek’s composed finish past Hugo Lloris after 15 minutes was enough for Ajax to take a 1-0 first-leg lead back to Amsterdam.
It could easily have been worse for Mauricio Pochettino’s side had Van de Beek squared for David Neres soon after the goal – the Dutchman instead went for glory and saw his effort saved.
Neres himself had the chance to make it two but he hit the post with a left-footed shot in the second half.
There were worrying scenes, though, when Jan Vertonghen almost collapsed on the sidelines before the break.
The Belgian defender had split his nose open after clashing heads with team-mate Toby Alderweireld in an aerial challenge with Ajax goalkeeper Andre Onana.
After blood poured across his face and kit, Spurs medics gave him the all clear to go back on.

Referee Antonio Mateu Lahoz was praised by viewers after he vigilantly checked with the docs to ensure Vertonghen was not concussed following such a heavy collision and then allowed him to carry on.
But just seconds after returning to the field, the defender signalled he could not continue and was substituted before having to be supported as his legs gave way.
Spurs take on Bournemouth on Saturday while Ajax play Willem II in the Dutch Cup final on Sunday before the second leg at the Johan Cruyff Arena next Wednesday.
@jalahil Further violent clashes took place in High Road after the full-time whistle with cones and glass bottles thrown


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here