THE heartbroken families of MH370 victims are still in a desperate bid for answers five years after their loved ones disappeared.
Flight 370 disappeared on March 8, 2014, en route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing with 239 people on board.
EPA The message ‘Search On For MH370′ written on a paper plane is on display during the remembrance ceremony to mark the fifth anniversary of the Malaysian Airlines plane disappearance
The mystery initially captured the world’s attention, prompting a joint search effort by China, Malaysia and Australia.
After the two years-long joint underwater search in the southern Indian Ocean was called off in January 2017.
MH370 – WHAT HAPPENED?
Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 took off from Kuala Lumpur and was heading to Beijing with 239 people on board.
Passengers included Chinese calligraphers, a couple on their way home to their young sons after a long-delayed honeymoon and a construction worker who hadn’t been home in a year.
But at 12.14am on March 8, 2014, Malaysia Airlines lost contact with MH370 close to Phuket island in the Strait of Malacca.
Before that, Malaysian authorities believe the last words heard from the plane, from either the pilot or co-pilot, was “Good night Malaysian three seven zero”.
Satellite “pings” from the aircraft suggest it continued flying for around seven hours when the fuel would have run out.
Experts have calculated the most likely crash site around 1,000 miles west of Perth, Australia.
But a huge search of the seabed failed to find any wreckage – and there are a number of alternative theories as to its fate.
But the families have not given up hope.
Guan Zhongping, whose daughter was on the flight questioned: “Why does the world stop talking?”
“Why is it totally covered up? We, the relatives, want to put a question mark on this.”
Zhang Niuli, who lost her daughter on the flight, said the families met with a foreign ministry director surnamed Chen for about 15 minutes.
Zhang said they were disappointed Chen didn’t have any direct responses to their questions.
Why does the world stop talking?Guan Zhongping, a devastated father
The relatives of those on board have joined forces to get to the bottom of the mystery which has baffled the world’s top aviation experts.
They meet every month in Kuala Lumpur to support each other and try to keep missing Malaysian Airlines flight in the public eye.
THE SEARCH CONTINUES
Earlier this week, the Malaysian government said is waiting for new proposals to restart the hunt for missing flight MH370.
Malaysia’s transport minister Anthony Loke says the government is hoping to resume the search as families of passengers marked the fifth anniversary of the jet’s disappearance.
The US firm Ocean Infinity mounted a “no cure, no fee” search for the plane in the southern Indian Ocean in January 2018 that ended in May without any clues.
But the firm’s CEO, Oliver Plunkett, said in a video shown at the public remembrance event Sunday in Kuala Lumpur that the company hopes to resume the search with better technology obtained in the past year.
Mr Loke said the government “is waiting for specific proposals, in particular from Ocean Infinity,” to resume the search for the plane.
AP:Associated Press The Malaysian government says it is looking to re-open the case into the missing jet
AP:Associated Press The family’s of the 239 people on board are still looking for answers five years on
“It has become a family as well, an extended family,” she told Reuters.
For five years the group has campaigned to keep public attention on MH370 and help each other cope with their grief and try to live normal lives by returning to work and raising children.
In July 2018, the Malaysian government’s report into the disappearance of Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 says all the evidence points to the fact the plane was deliberately flown out into the Indian Ocean.
Latest’he was a british citizen’ ISIS bride Shamima Begum’s baby has DIED, family’s lawyer claims BreakingTV LEGEND DEAD Jan-Michael Vincent dead at 73 – Airwolf star dies after cardiac arrest SICK ‘CONFESSION’ Man ‘raped girl, 3, and infected her with gonorrhoea and chlamydia’ FACE THAT SAID ‘HELP’ Waitress ‘saves abused kids from cruel dad’ with help from diners BREAKING RANKS Jacko’s sister LaToya claimed he WAS paedo in chilling 1993 interview ‘BABY CRUSH’ DEATH Mum ‘killed baby by crushing ribs until they BROKE to stop her crying’
According to the report, the only way MH370 would have been able to deviate from its flight path was if it was under deliberate, manual control.
But there were still more questions than answers after the report was handed down – and the conspiracy theories surrounding the disappearance are legion.
Malaysia’s new government has said the search could be resumed but only if new and compelling evidence comes to light.
Reuters Daughter Michelle Gomes (L) and wife Jacquita Gonzales of in-flight supervisor Patrick Francis Gomes
AFP or licensors Grace Subathirai Nathan, daughter of passenger Anne Daisy, shows a piece of debris believed to be from flight MH370
Alamy Flight MH370 was lost with 239 people on board
The passenger took off from Kuala Lumpur and was heading to Beijing
Families reveal new debris from the missing Malaysian Airlines flight MH370
We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online news team? Email us at email@example.com or call 0207 782 4368 . We pay for videos too. Click here to upload yours