A MAN’S face erupted in nasty pustules after he caught a deadly fungal infection.
Doctors discovered the 29-year-old had contracted Talaromyces marneffei – one of the world’s “most feared fungi”.
The New England Journal of Medicine The 29-year-old’s skin erupted in hundreds of tiny acne-like spots – that turned out to be a fungal infection
When he visited the doctor, he said he had been suffering with a cough, shortness of breath and a fever for two months, the New England Journal of Medicine reported.
But in the last two weeks he had also broken out into hundreds of tiny spots over his face, neck, arms, legs and torso and lost weight.
Doctors at the Beilun People’s Hospital in Ningbo, China, carried out a biopsy and discovered the patient had actually been infected with a deadly fungus.
The infection, formerly known as Penicillium marneffei, is regarded as being one of the ten most feared fungi globally, according to a report last year.
It’s most commonly found in southern China, south east Asia, and north eastern India and causes infection in people with AIDS.
Scientists say the fungus can be fatal for those who have contracted HIV, which the man also tested positive for.
However, there has been an increase in the infection among people with impaired cell-mediated immunity, such as those who have had an organ transplant.
Overall, the incidence of T. marneffei infection has decreased with the increased use of highly active antiretroviral therapy.
Came from rats
The infection was first discovered in 1956 as an infection among bamboo rats and was recognised as a human disease after the AIDs pandemic arrived in Asia in the late 1980s.
However the mode of transmission of the organism remains unclear, a report in the Clinical Microbiology Reviews says.
It’s been suggested that soil exposure, especially during the rainy season, is a critical risk factor.
Typical symptoms can include fever, anaemia, weight loss, respiratory problems, and skin lesions.
OVERGROWN Woman’s teeth ‘disappear’ as killer ‘strawberry gum’ disease engulfs her smile WARNING SIGN Woman with bizarre ‘tie-dye’ rash discovers it’s a rare sign of anal cancer WarningGREEN FINGERS Farmer catches horrendous ‘gardener’s disease’ that ‘ate away at his arm’ INFESTATION Scans show HUNDREDS of tapeworm eggs burrowing through man’s brain and body WarningEYE SORE Grim photos show giant white lump growing on man’s eyeball after cataract op WarningBREATHTAKING Man’s nose bleed is actually grim parasitic infection he caught from pond HARD TO SWALLOW Man branded a murderer until doc found TOOTHPICK punctured partner’s throat FULL UP Docs remove 1ft of OAP’s bowel after it nearly ‘exploded’ from severe constipation MEE-OWW Cat scratch left teen suicidal, wanting to kill family & believing he’s devil’s son LISTEN UP! Man develops killer BRAIN infection after using cotton buds to clean his ears MIND BLOWING Woman had a STROKE while lover gave her oral sex as orgasm caused brain bleed
Patients who don’t receive appropriate anti-fungal treatment have a poor prognosis.
In this case, the patient was treated with intravenous anti-fungal medication and began antiretroviral therapy two weeks later.
Within four months, the papules had significantly diminished leaving behind some minor scarring.
The New England Journal of Medicine A biopsy from one the man’s pauples found he had been infected with Talaromyces marneffei
The New England Journal of Medicine This picture shows the man after four months of treatment, leaving him with some minor scarring
We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online news team? Email us at email@example.com or call 0207 782 4368 . You can WhatsApp us on 07810 791 502. We pay for videos too. Click here to upload yours.