Man, 21, sleeping in caravan on driveway saves family-of-six’s lives after 3am freezer fire

0
46
Man, 21, sleeping in caravan on driveway saves family-of-six's lives after 3am freezer fire



A HOMELESS man saved the lives of a family after their home went up in flames while they were sleeping.
The Good family said they might not be here today to tell the story if it wasn’t for the heroic actions of 21-year-old Chris Tollerson.
BPM Media Chris Tollerson was staying with the Good family when a freezer fire tore through their home in the dead of night
BPM Media The blaze completely devestated the family’s home – but it could’ve taken their lives too if Chris hadn’t intervened
Mr Tollerson was visiting his brother, Josh Meek, 20, who lives with his fiancée’s family in Nottingham when fire tore through their bungalow at 3.25am on Sunday, February 24.
Mr Tollerson, who was sleeping in the family’s caravan on the drive, had nipped out for a cigarette when he noticed their home of 18 years was on fire.
Inside were homeowners, Alan, 45, and his wife Karen Good, 44, their seven-year-old son Oliver, 19-year-old daughter Shannon, her fiancée Josh and his younger brother Logan, aged 16.
The fire service said the blaze was caused by “electrics” which the family believe started with a freezer.
Mr Good, who is a paramedic with East Midlands Ambulance Service, said: “Chris is homeless and it just so happened that he was staying with us and sleeping in the caravan on the drive.
“He went out for a cigarette and noticed the fire was in full swing and pounded at the door to get our attention.
“Without him it could have been a different story. It is not just a good deed — he has saved our lives.
The chances of us dying was very high if it was not for my brother.Josh Tollerson, Chris’ brother
“When I was speaking to the fire officers they said that if it had been left another 15 minutes the fire would have been a ‘severe endangerment to life.’ It spread so quickly.”
Mr Tollerson, who has been homeless since September, had been sleeping in the caravan as there was no room inside the house.
He said: “I have been homeless for a while and I have been trying to find a job to sort myself out.
“I was in the caravan and the power went out. I got out and went for a cigarette and heard what was like fireworks.
“I turned around and saw the whole side of the house ablaze. I banged on the door, called Josh, but there was no answer. I threw stones at the window and then started banging again.
“Then Alan answered and I said ‘we need to get everyone out’, then I called the fire brigade.
“I also woke the neighbours up to get them out. The fire service said it themselves, if they were not out in 15 minutes the whole place would have burnt down. I think I would have lost both of my brothers and the rest of their family.”
His brother Josh, who was sleeping in the downstairs bedroom with his fiancée Shannon, said:”The fire was all up the side of the house, the windows were popping and then smashing to pieces. You could feel the heat straightaway.
“The chances of us dying was very high if it was not for my brother.
SUICIDE WARNING What is Momo and how can parents protect their children? say no no to momo Expert advice on how to keep children safe from online suicide game Momo AIR-RAISING Passengers ‘say prayers’ as BA plane is battered by freak winds over Gibraltar SEX ATTACK HELL Boy, 16, ‘raped girl,10, on her way home from school and left her for dead’ WarningLEFT FOR DEAD Cruel thugs slice puppy’s mouth open like Batman villain The Joker meghan keeps mum Harry and Meghan meet Moroccan king but don’t ask about his ‘missing’ wife
The family said that 90 per cent of their belongings have been destroyed in the blaze and the fire has gutted downstairs including the kitchen and living room.
They are currently staying in a hotel and have been told they can’t return to their property to live there for at least six months.
Mr Good added: “I thought, ‘that’s my house and my home, everything we have worked hard to achieve and it is going up in smoke’. There was so many emotions.”
BPM Media Firefighters said the fire began with an electrical fault, which the family attributed to a freezer
Chris saved the lives of everyone asleep in the house when the fire started
BPM Media They think around 90 per cent of their belongings were lost in the flames
BPM Media The Good family have since had to live in a hotel and won’t be allowed to return for another six months

We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online news team? Email us at tips@the-sun.co.uk or call 0207 782 4368. You can WhatsApp us on 07810 791 502. We pay for videos too. Click here to upload yours.

 

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here