KIDS’ Disney drinking glasses sold in Amazon have been pulled from shelves after an investigation found that they contain potentially toxic metal.
Tests on glassware from Amazon, Tesco and The Range found that the illustrations painted on the tumblers were made with metal cadmium, a cancer-causing chemical found in cigarette smoke.
Amazon The Disney glasses were sold by Amazon by a third-party seller
Since the BBC alerted Amazon to the results of its investigation, the retailer has pulled the cups from its site.
But Tesco continues to stock the glasses because they “comply with UK and EU regulations”, and The Range has temporarily removed them from sale while it carries out its own tests.
Dr Andrew Turner of the University of Plymouth analysed the tumblers – which featured non-Disney designs too – and reckoned that he personally wouldn’t want to use the glasses on a long term basis.
He told the BBC: “I would refrain from giving these to young children and I think I would refrain from using them myself as well.”
Amazon Decorated glasses from The Range and Tesco were also found to be made with the chemicals
Cadmium has been found to cause damage to kidneys and bones, and can even lead to cancer.
The paint on the glasses from Tesco and The Range were also found to have lead in them, but it was the Amazon glasses that were deemed the biggest risk because of how close to the rim the toxic chemicals were which means it could be easily ingested.
The Amazon glasses were produced by a third-party seller who have a licence to use the Disney Prince images.
Neither lead or cadmium are illegal to use on glassware so the products aren’t being recalled.
Amazon The other glasses are “less of a risk” because the picture isn’t near the rim
But expert Dr Caroline Taylor from the University of Bristol warned that ingesting lead can cause behaviours problems and lower IQs in children.
She added: “I feel that there’s no need for this kind of paint to be on glasses so why are we taking unnecessary risks.”
An Amazon spokesperson added: “All sellers must follow our selling guidelines and those who don’t will be subject to action including potential removal of their account.”
A Tesco spokesperson told The Sun: “We have robust procedures in place to ensure the safety, quality and conformity of all new products brought to market and we are continually reviewing new materials, processes and methods for glassware decorating.”
The Sun contacted The Range and Disney for comment.
PRODUCT RECALL Morrisons recalls two Chinese ready meals because of allergy fears URGENT RECALL Aldi recalls chocolate chips over fears they could trigger allergic reactions SOUP’S OFF Co-op and Asda recall soups because they could trigger allergic reactions TAKING THE BISCUIT Lidl recalls Sondey Orange Jaffa Cakes over fears they will make you ill KNEAD TO STOP EATING Iceland recalls garlic bread over fears is could trigger allergies CHOC HORROR Lidl recalls Mister Choc chocolate bars over fears they contain peanuts
They’re not the only product which have been found to contain potentially toxic chemicals – popular children’s toys called “squishies” have been banned in Denmark after tests found they contained harmful chemicals.
Claire’s Accessories also recalled girls’ make-up due to fears they contain potentially deadly asbestos.
Last year, a children’s slim toy was also pulled from shelves for containing dangerous chemical that causes diarrhoea and harm to unborn babies.
We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online Money team? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org