Dame Joan Collins said she is “lucky to be alive” after she was forced to flee a fire at her London home.
The veteran actress was at the Belgravia property with husband Percy Gibson when a blaze broke out inside an en-suite bathroom.
PA:Press Association Actress Joan was at home with her husband when the terrifying blaze engulfed her en-suite
Both made it out uninjured after Mr Gibson tackled the flames with a fire extinguisher before the emergency services arrived.
Speaking to the Daily Mail, Dame Joan, 85, said her husband is a “hero” for his actions.
She told the newspaper: “The thing is, if Percy hadn’t gone in with the extinguisher the entire flat would have been consumed by flames.
“What he did, in fact, was save the whole building. Percy’s a hero. I know a lot of guys who wouldn’t have gone in. He made a great sacrifice.
Ray Collins – The Sun Thanks to Percy’s bravery in extinguishing the fire, Joan says the couple are lucky to be alive
“And we’re lucky to be alive. I keep thinking: ‘What if we’d been asleep and hadn’t heard the alarm? What if we’d gone to a movie?’.”
BUZZ KILL Ant and Dec’s Golden Buzzer act angers BGT fans who’ve seen him before ExclusiveSTRICTLY RUTHLESS Kevin Clifton’s ex reveals she took an overdose after he ended marriage ExclusiveBOUNCING BACK Alesha Dixon thought life was over after husband cheated & label dumped her ExclusiveSKYHAUL Adele’s husband could get half her £150m fortune after secret split last year ExclusiveGOING ROGUE Line of Duty star Stephen Graham on how racist role made him nearly quit acting ExclusiveSLATEY PRICE Katie Price slams Kieran’s ‘dad bod’ and accuses his girlfriend of copying her
The April 13 fire was started by sunlight striking a shaving mirror and reflecting onto a blind, firefighters said.
Firefighters have warned other people to beware of the intense sun to avoid suffering a similar incident.
Dame Joan has enjoyed a lengthy and successful career, making her Hollywood debut in the 1950s.She is perhaps best known for playing vengeful ex-wife Alexis Carrington in US soap opera Dynasty.
Ray Collins – The Sun The fire at Joan’s home started when the sun reflected off a mirror causing a blind to catch alight
Ray Collins – The Sun The actress had to be examined for smoke inhalation following the blaze at her home
Dame Joan Collins reveals her top was pulled down by top Hollywood actor during This Morning appearancein wake of Harvey Weinstein scandal