David Willey was left out of England’s final World Cup squad (Picture: Getty)David Willey admits he is ‘absolutely gutted’ after losing his place in England’s World Cup squad to rising star Jofra Archer.
Left-armer Willey has been a key member of England’s one-day team since the last World Cup in 2015, taking 52 wickets in 46 ODIs.
The 29-year-old was named in the provisional World Cup squad last month but missed out on the final 15 as Archer got the nod from the England selectors.
Writing on social media following the announcement, Willey said: ‘What can I say, I’m absolutely gutted. Still 100% behind the lads. On a positive…..still winning at life!’
What can I say, I’m absolutely gutted. Still 100% behind the lads. On a positive…..still winning at life!! pic.twitter.com/h8AAoregxV
— David Willey (@david_willey) May 21, 2019
Former England captain Nasser Hussain admits Eoin Morgan’s side will miss the left-arm threat of Willey, but said Archer ‘had’ to be included in the squad.
He said: ‘For me, I would’ve liked to have that left-arm option of Willey. With 10.30am starts in this World Cup, if you get a grey day, with it swinging around, he is the only one in world cricket really that swings that new ball.
‘But you’ve got to leave someone out, and every single one of them gives you something.
‘Mark Wood gives you extra pace, Liam Plunkett gives you wickets in the middle overs, Tom Curran has a lot of character and fight about him.
‘It was a difficult decision. We had four pundits looking at this in the last game and we left three different people out. No-one really knows. But, in the end, they’ve probably gone the right way.
‘One thing is for certain, I don’t think England will lose the World Cup because they went for Archer over Willey. It’s now how they play that’s going to be important.’
England face Australia in a warm-up match on Saturday, before beginning the World Cup against South Africa on May 30.