Couple jailed for smothering baby son over drunken row about sex

Couple jailed for smothering baby son over drunken row about sex

The court heard how the couple were drinking and arguing when their baby died (Picture: SWNS/PA)A couple who smothered their nine-week old baby because his crying stopped them from having sex have been jailed.
Luke Morgan and his partner Emma Cole were found guilty last month of child cruelty and causing or allowing the death of nine-week-old Tyler Morgan in April 2014.
A six-week trial heard how Tyler suffered broken ribs before being smothered, and also had what looked like a human bite mark on his arm.

Nine-week-old Tyler Morgan suffered broken ribs and what looked like human bite marks (Picture: PA)Morgan, 26, was jailed for eight years today while Cole, 22, was sentenced to five years.
The court heard how the pair were heard arguing at their flat in Burntwood, Staffordshire, in the early hours of the morning before Tyler was taken to hospital.
Police called to Boris Johnson’s home over reports of ‘screaming and banging’Neighbours said the drunken pair got into a row after their baby’s crying stopped them from having sex.
Sentencing at Stafford Crown Court, Judge Michael Chambers QC said one them ‘deliberately smothered the child’.
He added: ‘I am satisfied there was a delay of up to one hour before calling an ambulance.’

Luke Morgan, 26, was jailed for eight years for child cruelty and allowing Tyler’s death (Picture: SWNS)The Judge also said Morgan was responsible for a bite mark on Tyler’s rib fractures and the bite mark on his forearm.
Morgan and Cole were cleared of murder and manslaughter.
The court heard how one neighbour had heard a high-pitched scream, while another described hearing a loud bang.
Pensioner, 84, and ex-nurse, 57, named as victims of listeria hospital outbreakMr Smith said: ‘The prosecution say that Luke Morgan and Emma Cole were plainly arguing in the early hours.
‘Their argument took place at a time when they had both been drinking alcohol.’

Emma Cole, 22, was handed a five year sentence for her role in Tyler losing his life (Picture: SWNS)Cole dialled 999 at 2.42am and Tyler, who was in cardiac arrest, arrived at Walsall Manor Hospital at 3.40am and was later pronounced dead.
After the sentencing Detective Chief Inspector Victoria Downing said: ‘Our first thoughts are with Tyler, who was barely two-months-old when he lost his life, and his extended family.
‘This has been a difficult and distressing case to bring before the courts and we are grateful to those who have provided evidence to allow the jury to reach this decision.’
A statement issued by Tyler’s grandparents read: ‘Losing Tyler was the worst day of our lives. Not knowing how or why is the worst situation we could have been in.
‘We now need time to rebuild and heal our lives as a family. Tyler will always be in our hearts.’
More: Crime news


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here