THE Church of England has been told to give up its land to travellers because they have nowhere else to go.
The motion passed 265 votes to one, despite fears travellers bring “a lot of upset and fear”.
BPM Media An unauthorised traveller encampment in Bramley Cricket Club, Bramley, Surrey
The General Synod – the Church’s national assembly – heard that it was CofE’s “responsibility” to offer its land.
Mary Durlacher, from the Chelmsford Diocese, said travellers made her church and graveyard inaccessible to people when they moved into the car park.
When they did leave the site they left behind human excrement and smashed glass.
Mary told the Telegraph: “It didn’t matter cleaning up the black bags but there was the issue of excrement. My husband and I put on our gloves because the smell was quite interesting.
There was the issue of excrement. My husband and I put on our gloves because the smell was quite interestingMary Durlacher, from the Chelmsford Diocese
“They then moved around the area to our second church, the local school and private land. There was broken glass and with it being a hot summer, it set fire to the field. There was a lot of bad feeling.”
The assembly recommended that bishops should “speak out boldly” in the House of Lords against laws that would marginalise travellers.
Radical plans unveiled by ministers earlier this month mean that travellers who set up unauthorised camps could be jailed.
The Bishop of Chelmsford, Stephen Cottrell, told the Synod: “It is our responsibility to put this right and the Church can play its part to help find new sites. This motion is a small way of making a change.”
It is our responsibility to put this right and the Church can play its part to help find new sitesThe Right Revd Stephen Cottrell
The Right Revd Stephen Cottrell said the church should “play its part” in finding somewhere for travellers to live.
As of July last year there were 22,662 traveller caravans in England, according to government figures. Some 86 per cent were on authorised land, while the remaining 3,000 are on unauthorised sites.
Currently police can only step in to ask travellers to move on if there are at least six vehicles on the site.
The authorities will also be allowed to direct travellers to legal sites in neighbouring council areas. But under the new plans this threshold will lower to just two vehicles.
latestHIJACK DRAMA Armed passenger ‘storms cockpit and threatens to bomb plane in hijack bid’ CHILD MOTHER ISIS sex slave girl pregnant at TEN years old as children raped by 100 jihadis FEBULOUS 18C this week after ‘Sunday Roast’ as warm spell continues but SNOW is on way FACEBOOK SICKO Perv asks to see ‘girl, 13,’ naked in sick messages but walks FREE NO REGRETS Transgender teen stabbed parents and dog to death and said ‘I don’t feel guilty’ GANGSTER ‘REVENGE’ Hitman who killed gang bosses stabbed after £150k bounty put on his head
Currently they can only be moved to legal sites within the same local authority. Police would also be able to remove trespassers from land that forms part of the highway under the proposals.
Last year 200 travellers set up a in posh Surrey suburb Cobham, infuriating locals.
They were claimed to have defecated on their lawns and caused chaos in the village shops.
Gary Stone -The Sun Traveller camps with up to two caravans could be a criminal offence under new laws
BPM Media The area abandoned at Shalford Common was left in a state by the travellers
Barcroft Media Food waste left behind by travellers who set up amp near to a section of the M1 in Houghton Regis in 2017
Bizarre moment ‘traveller’ is forced to swear on the Bible he didn’t sleep with prostitutes
We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online news team? Email us at email@example.com or call 0207 782 4368 . You can WhatsApp us on 07810 791 502. We pay for videos too. Click here to upload yours.