A THREE-year-old boy with a severe dairy allergy was left fighting for his life after he found his mum’s secret stash of chocolate.
Aisha Vaughan has told her of her guilt after little Omar ate the bag of Cadbury’s Wispa Bites she’d hidden under her bed at their home in Wembley, north west London.
K Aisha Vaughan had hidden a bag of Cadbury’s Wispa Bites under her bed but her son with a severe dairy allergy found them
The youngster, who is also allergic to nuts, eggs and sesame seeds, immediately began struggling to breathe and had to be put in a medically-induced coma.
Speaking to the Daily Star on Sunday, Mrs Vaughan, said: “Seeing our baby hooked up to a ventilator left me in floods of tears.
“This is my fault, I thought, tormented by the sight of Omar in pain.”
The 34-year-old had gone on a rare outing to the cinema and left Omar at home with his dad Curtis, 38, along with son Isaac and daughter Suraiyah.
Seeing our baby hooked up to a ventilator left me in floods of tears. This is my fault, I thought, tormented by the sight of Omar in painAisha Vaughan
But halfway through the film she heard her phone beep and saw a text from her husband saying: “Omar can’t breathe”.
Aisha rushed home to find Curtis administering adrenaline to the little boy with an EpiPen.
When she asked what had happened he said Omar had found the chocolate, which she’d wrapped in a plastic bag.
She said: “I felt sick with guilt. I watched helplessly as he tended to Omar but the EpiPen didn’t seem to be working.”
What are the symptoms of milk allergy in babies?
Skin reactions: including red itchy rashes or swelling of the face, lips and around the eyes
Digestive problems: such as tummy ache, vomiting, colic, diarrhoea or constipation
Hayfever-like symptoms: such as a runny or blocked nose, and watery eyes
Eczema: if it doesn’t improve with treatment
Coughing or wheezing
He gave the boy another shot of adrenaline but he was still wheezing for air and sneezing.
Aisha said: “Omar’s eyes started to swell up. After seven shots of adrenaline we knew he needed to get to the hospital.”
When they got to A&E medics said they’d have to put him in a coma to save his life while he battled the reaction.
After 24 hours of uncertainty, Omar pulled through and was allowed to go home three days later.
WarningSPAIN’S DOG ABUSE ‘SHAME’ Spanish hunters leave 50,000 greyhounds to die thrown down WELLS FINAL GOODBYE Mum visits park where daughter, 17, was knifed to death after ‘row & screams’ ‘SHE WAS VERY YOUNG’ Shamima Begum’s husband insists it was HER choice to marry him at 15 ALLI-GREATER Giant 13ft alligator found in ditch was so big people didn’t think it was real UP IN SMOKE UK legal smoking age could rise from 18 to 21 in ‘smoke-free generation’ bid SEA SICK Ten sailors who performed and filmed vile sex acts in a busy pub face Navy axe
The parents, who have been left shaken by the ordeal, have now binned the bag of treats.
They say they’ve always been careful with what they kept in their home as both her sons have extreme allergies and it was the only dairy item in the house.
Aisha said their reactions can be so bad that if food merely touches their skin it can break out in nasty boils and hives.
The couple recently had another little boy, Zayn, in August last year and he is beginning to show early signs that he may have similar allergies to his brothers.
Cows’ milk is the most common source of food allergy in babies and young kids and affects between two and 7.5 per cent of kids under the age of one.
Getty – Contributor Omar’s dad administered an EpiPen several times but it failed to work, stock image
Gabby Allen reveals she ‘almost died’ after having allergic reaction to pineapple juice on holiday as she praises boyfriend Myles Stephenson for saving her
We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online news team? Email us at email@example.com or call 0207 782 4368 . You can WhatsApp us on 07810 791 502. We pay for videos too. Click here to upload yours.