The Daesh Takfiri terrorists released footage in February 2015 showing the beheading of 21 Egyptian Coptic Christians kidnapped in Libya. The photo purports to show a frame grab of the video.
’s state television reported Friday that 23 Egyptian workers kidnapped in Libya have been freed and returned to their country.
The workers, who had been taken hostage 10 days earlier, were freed by “Libyan special forces in coordination with the Egyptian general intelligence service,” the state TV said.
The group had been taken hostage near the oil town of Brega.
In an interview at a border crossing between Egypt and Libya, one of the released hostages said they had been kidnapped by people demanding ransom.
The state TV aired footage of the workers arriving at the border crossing. They waved Egyptian flags.
Egypt’s government has warned citizens seeking employment not to travel to Libya, which has been gripped by unrest over the past few years. However, thousands of Egyptians choose the war-torn country for jobs.
In February, the United Nations warned against the expansion of the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group in Libya.
The terrorists released footage in February 2015 showing the beheading of 21 Egyptian Coptic Christians kidnapped in Libya.
Forces loyal to Libya’s unity government have been engaged in a battle for the city of Sirte for the past several weeks. The city is the stronghold of Daesh in Libya.