A Yemeni man walks past flames rising from the ruins of buildings destroyed in an airstrike by Saudi Arabia in the Yemeni capital, Sana’a, February 10, 2016. (Photo by AFP)
Saudi warplanes have bombarded a number of areas in the Yemeni capital, violating a UN-brokered truce agreement for the fifth day since it went into effect.
Local residents and witnesses said Saudi aircraft on Thursday struck several targets in the Faj Attan district and some other areas across Sana’a.
Muhammad Ali, a Sana’a resident, told Reuters that Saudi warplanes keep pounding Yemen
despite the truce.
“I live in Attan. There were airstrikes at dawn this morning and they hit some targets in the area. Warplanes have been hovering overhead around here in Sana’a since the ceasefire took hold,” the news
agency quoted him as saying.
Separately, Saudi helicopters struck al-Houta, the capital of the southern Lahij Province, killing at least eight people. The aerial raid hit a government building, a stadium and two homes in the region.
Saudi jets have intensified their bombing of Yemeni cities on the weekend, hitting dozens of civilian houses and properties. Riyadh had earlier pledged in a statement that it would honor the ceasefire.
Yemen’s Houthi Ansarullah movement has accused Saudi Arabia and its mercenaries of constantly violating the truce agreement across the country.
The Houthis on Monday recorded 39 violations of the truce by Saudi Arabia and its allies, including attacks in Ta’izz and the central province of Baida.
Yemeni children stand inside their house, which was destroyed several months ago in an airstrike by Saudi warplanes, in the capital, Sana’a, March 12, 2016. (Photo by AFP)
Three dozen pro-Saudi forces killed
Yemeni military sources said on Thursday that nearly three dozen pro-Saudi militants had been killed in a series of violent clashes with Houthis and allied army units near Sana’a over the past three days.
Saudi Arabia has been waging a war on Yemen since late March 2015 in a bid to reinstate former president Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi. Nearly 9,400 Yemenis, including 4,000 women and children, have lost their lives in the campaign.