Saudi jets bomb northwestern Yemen with banned munitions

March 27, 2017 9:26 pm

The photo released by Amnesty International shows UK-manufactured cluster bomblets gathered in northern .

Saudi warplanes have pounded
Yemen’s northwestern province of Sa’ada with at least two cluster bombs
despite a global outcry against the use of such internationally-banned
weapons by .

According to Yemen’s
Arabic-language al-Masirah television network, the airstrikes were
carried out against al-Malahit area in Az Zahir district on Monday
afternoon, but there were no immediate reports of casualties or damage.
The
Saudi war machine has already used cluster bombs across Yemen in
multiple occasions despite the inherently indiscriminate nature of
cluster munitions. Various rights groups, including Amnesty
International and Human Rights Watch, have on many occasions reported
and criticized the use of cluster bombs by Riyadh’s in Yemen.
On
March 9, the Amnesty International rights group said in a statement
that Saudi Arabia had used cluster bombs on three residential districts
and agricultural land in Sa’ada back in mid-February.
Last
December, Human Rights Watch also said Saudi Arabia had fired cluster
bombs near two schools in Sa’ada, killing two civilians and wounding six
others, including a child.
Cluster bombs are banned under the
Convention on Cluster Munitions (CCM), an international treaty that
addresses the humanitarian consequences and unacceptable harm caused to
civilians by cluster munitions through a categorical prohibition and a
framework for action. The weapons can contain dozens of smaller
bomblets, dispersing over vast areas, often killing and maiming
civilians long after they are dropped.
Meanwhile, Yemeni snipers
managed to kill at least two Saudi soldiers during a retaliatory attack
on the Saudi military base in the Kers military base in the kingdom’s
southern province of Najran. Since March, dozens of Saudi troops and
Saudi mercenaries have been killed by Yemeni snipers in Najran and
Jizan, another Saudi southwestern province.

Yemeni
school children walk outside a school on March 16, 2017, that was
damaged in a Saudi airstrike in the southern Yemeni city of Ta’izz.
(Photo by AFP)In another development on Monday
afternoon, terrorists suspected of belonging to the al-Qaeda in the
Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) terror group detonated an explosive-laden car
at the gates of a building, used as a temporary headquarters by militia
loyal to Yemen’s resigned president Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi, in the city
of Hawtah in Yemen’s southwestern province of Lahij.
Shortly after
the deafening blast, AQAP militants, dressed as the militia, attacked
the headquarters but faced with fierce resistance from the guards. The
explosion and the ensuing gunfire has so far killed at least eight
people and wounded dozens more, mostly from the militia.    
On
March 26, 2015, Saudi Arabia, backed by a number of African and Persian
Gulf Arab states, began launching airstrikes on different areas across
Yemen, its southern neighbor, in an attempt to reinstate Hadi, who is a
close Riyadh ally, and to crush the popular Houthi Ansarullah movement.
According
to the United Nations humanitarian coordinator for Yemen, Jamie
McGoldrick, the Saudi military campaign has claimed the lives of 10,000
Yemenis and left 40,000 others wounded.
However, in a report
released on February 23, Yemen’s Legal Center for Rights and
Development, an independent monitoring group, put the civilian death
toll in the war-torn Arab country at 12,041. The fatalities, it said,
comprise 2,568 children and 1,870 women. The rights body said the
bombings have also wounded 20,001 civilians, including 2,354 children
and 1,960 women, while more than four million others have been
displaced.
The Saudi war has also taken a heavy toll on the
country’s facilities and infrastructure, destroying many hospitals,
schools and factories.

Tags:
shared on wplocker.com