A picture taken on September 20, 2016 in Kinshasa, DR Congo shows the entrance to the offices of the main opposition Union for Democracy and Social Progress party, which were torched on Sept. 20, 2016. (Photo by AFP)
Police in the Democratic Republic of the Congo
(DRC) say 32 people have been killed during two days of clashes between protesters and anti-riot forces in the capital, Kinshasa.
Clashes erupted in Kinshasa when thousands of opposition supporters rallied against President Joseph Kabila and his bid to extend his term, but the march soon turned violent as security forces were deployed and fired live ammunition.
The clashes continued into the next day, when a number of people were burned alive by unknown assailants and some attacks were reported to have been launched on police positions.
But the deadly chaos apparently fizzled out on Wednesday, and normal life more or less resumed in Kinshasa. Traffic was lighter than usual in the capital and schoolchildren remained at home as a precaution.
A man looks at a burned courthouse in Kinshasa on September 21, 2016, following two days of clashes. (Photo by AFP)
The opposition claimed that a far greater number of people — over 100 — had lost their lives in the unrest, rejecting the official figure announced by police.
Human Rights Watch (HRW) said a total of 37 people had been killed, 20 on Monday and 17 on Tuesday. The New York-based human rights group said at least six police officers were among those killed.
Each side in the conflict has been blaming the other for the deadly violence in the capital. Congolese authorities have threatened to prosecute those who were behind the anti-government riots.
Opposition leader Moise Katumbi has called for sanctions to be imposed on the government for the killings.
Flares are launched by police forces during an opposition demonstration in Goma, September 19, 2016. (Photo by AFP)
“If there are sanctions, there is going to be stability in Congo. Without sanctions, they (the security forces) will continue killing people like mosquitoes,” Katumbi said.
He said the UN must send an “independent commission” to the DR Congo to probe the deaths of protesters.
The UN Security Council, in a Wednesday statement, called on all parties to cease the clashes and to engage in an “open, inclusive and peaceful” political dialogue about conducting “credible elections.”
It also urged the Congolese authorities “to exercise maximum restraint in their response to protests.”
President Kabila has ruled the mineral-rich DRC since 2001. Under the constitution, he should relinquish power on December 20, but he allegedly seeks ways, including pushing back the elections, to extend his presidency.
For the past few decades, the DR Congo has been facing grinding poverty, crumbling infrastructure and a war in the east of the country that has dragged on since 1998 and left over 5.5 million people dead.