Italy’s Renzi condemns Dhaka attack, confirms Italians were killed

July 2, 2016 4:30 pm

Bangladeshi police officers take
cover as a man lies on the ground near the Holey Artisan Bakery
restaurant during an attack by gunmen in , , July 1,
2016. (AFP)

condemns the attack in
the Bangladeshi capital, with Prime Minister Matteo Renzi confirming
Italian nationals were killed in the hostage-taking incident.

Renzi said Saturday he will not disclose details on the matter until the families of the dead are notified.
Earlier,
the Bangladeshi army said 20 civilians, all of them foreigners, had
been killed by gunmen linked to the Takfiri Daesh terrorist group at a
cafe in Dhaka.
“We’ve recovered 20 bodies. Most them had been
brutally hacked to death with sharp weapons” at Holey Artisan Bakery in
Dhaka, Brigadier General Nayeem Ashfaq Chowdhury told reporters.
Late
on Friday, a group of armed men attacked the upscale cafe in the
diplomatic area of the Bangladeshi capital at about 9:20 p.m. local time
(1320 GMT), setting off explosives and taking a number of people
hostage. Police said eight to nine gunmen armed with assault rifles and
grenades were holed up inside.
Several hours later, police forces
managed to enter the place to free the hostages. Two officers lost their
lives in the clashes.
Officials in Rome said at least seven
Italians had been held hostage inside the cafe. Unconfirmed media
reports, however, said ten were taken hostage.
Police declared
in the early hours of Saturday the end to the 12-hour siege and said the
cafe was free of gunmen. Six attackers were killed and another arrested
alive during the operation.
Meanwhile, India’s government said a teenage Indian girl was also among the victims of the attack in Dhaka.
India’s
Foreign Minister Sushma Swaraj said in a message posted on Twitter, “I
am extremely pained to share that the terrorists have killed Tarushi
[Jain], an Indian girl who was taken hostage in the terror attack in
Dhaka.”
Tags:
shared on wplocker.com