Families of UK soldiers killed in Iraq to take Blair to court

July 6, 2016 9:00 am

Former British Prime Minister Tony Blair leaves his office in central London on July 5, 2016. (AFP photo)

Relatives of British soldiers
killed during the Iraq war say they will take former Prime Minister
Tony Blair to court if a long-awaited report due to be published on
Wednesday finds that he acted wrongly over the war.

Blair
faces heavy criticism from the seven-year-long Iraq Inquiry, also
referred to as the Chilcot Inquiry after its chairman, Sir John Chilcot,
which was established in 2009 to investigate Britain’s role in the Iraq
war and its aftermath that saw British forces remain in the Arab
country for six years.
Sir John Chilcot has said the report would
criticise individuals and institutions and hopes it would help families
of the 179 Britons who died between 2003 and 2009 answer some questions.
Sources
close to Blair say he will try to defend himself against possible war
crime accusations in the Chilcot Inquiry by claiming that he was given
wrong intelligence on Iraq’s weapons of mass destruction.
Families
of the British soldiers, sailors and airmen who died during the war are
preparing to take Blair to court for following the United States’
footsteps into a six-year-long illegal war.

This
AFP file photo taken on July 30, 2009 shows John Chilcot, the Chairman
of the Iraq Inquiry, outlining the terms of reference for the inquiry.Previously
the International Criminal Court said it would not prosecute Blair if
it found traces of war crimes in the upcoming report.
Launched by
the administration of former US president George W. Bush with strong
backing, the war led to the deaths of more than one million Iraqis.
Blair
has always denied the claim that he and Bush signed a deal “in blood”
at Crawford, Texas, to launch a war against Iraq that began on March 20,
2003.
The invasion plunged Iraq into chaos, resulting in years of deadly violence and the rise of terrorist groups like Daesh (ISIL).

Tags:
shared on wplocker.com