After Turkey failed Coup, nearly 300 presidential guards arrested

July 23, 2016 5:45 am

In this file photo, Turkish
President (L) and his Palestinian counterpart
Mahmoud Abbas pass by the Turkish Presidential Guard Regiment soldiers
in Ankara.

Turkish authorities have
arrested 283 members of the presidential guard of Recep Tayyip Erdogan
over alleged affiliation to the last week’s failed coup.

Security
sources, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the suspects were
part of the special forces regiment stationed at the presidential palace
in capital, Ankara.
The sources added that the suspects will be taken to the Palace of Justice in Ankara after a police inquiry is conducted.
Meanwhile,
an unnamed Turkish government official said 10,856 passports, including
close to 10,000 green/grey ones, had been cancelled “due to flight
risk,” either because the holders are in custody or on the run.
Green
passport holders include civil servants as well as former legislators,
who can travel to some countries visa-free. Grey passports are issued to
those working on government business as well as members of sports
delegations.

In this file photo, Turkish Prime Minister Binali Yildirim speaks to reporters in the capital, Ankara. ©Anadolu agencyPrime
Minister Binali Yildirim vowed on Friday to adopt more measures against
potential “threats” in the face of the July 15 botched putsch.
Yildirim
said the danger from the attempted coup remains, but the government is
trying to keep it at bay. He also assured Turkish citizens that security
and safety have been ensured across the country.
“Our priority is
to ensure the peace and safety of people at all places, dismiss all
their concerns and control state institutions thoroughly,” the premier
pointed out.

Turkish President Recep Tayyip ErdoganErdogan
said on Thursday 10,410 people had so far been detained with 4,060 of
them remanded in custody, including more than 100 generals and admirals.
He
further noted that the death toll from the failed coup attempt had
risen to 246 people, excluding the coup plotters, and that 2,185 people
had sustained injuries.
Turkish officials have launched a
large-scale crackdown following the July 15 attempted coup d’état.
A three-month state of emergency has also been declared in .
Turkey’s
Ministry of National Education announced in a statement last Tuesday
that it had dismissed 15,200 of its employees from their jobs over their
alleged involvement in the putsch.
The Turkish public broadcaster
TRT also reported that the country’s High Education Board had ordered
the resignation of 1,577 deans, including 1,176 in public universities
and 401 in private institutions.
Sources in Turkey’s Interior
Ministry said on Monday that a total of 8,777 Interior Ministry
officials had been suspended since July 16.

Tags:
shared on wplocker.com