Victorian authorities crack down on hoverboard industry

January 6, 2016 7:05 pm

 

Self-balancing hoverboard. Photo / Supplied

Companies peddling faulty hoverboards could be hit with $20,000 fines
as Victorian authorities crack down on the industry following a
destructive house fire.
A family of five was forced to flee their
Strathmore home on Monday after a hoverboard bought for Christmas
sparked a blaze just 10 minutes after it was plugged in.
The
toy’s battery exploded while it was charging in a bedroom and fire
quickly spread through the home, which will need to be bulldozed.
Ash Ibraheim fled with his four daughters and pets after trying to extinguish the blaze with a bucket of water.
“In
the panic of it all, I slipped, fell on my back. And then by the time I
sort of came to stand up there was an explosion and I just sort of
scrambled and ran out,” he told reporters.
Energy Safe Victoria said the hoverboard model did not comply with national safety standards.
Inspectors
will start visiting toy stores around the state today, making sure
they’re selling safe models that haven’t been recalled, and online
distributors will be monitored.
Non-compliant products will be seized, with individuals doing the wrong thing facing fines of $4000 and companies $20,000.
Victorian
consumer affairs minister Jane Garrett has written to her federal
counterpart Kelly O’Dwyer, asking her to consider a national ban on
hoverboards.
Ms Garrett will also contact major toy retailers and peak industry bodies to remind them of their responsibilities.
“These
toys are very popular but they are also dangerous and could have
devastating consequences if they are dodgy or aren’t used properly,” she
said on Wednesday.
“I have instructed Consumer Affairs Victoria
to conduct an immediate blitz across the state to make sure we don’t
have a tragedy.”

Tags:
shared on wplocker.com