Reckless Man Died In a Soakaway Pit While Starting Generator

February 13, 2015 8:55 am

35-year-old Olalekan Salisu has lost his life after he lost his balance
while trying to put on his generator and then plunged inside a soak-away
pit. The
tragic incident happened at the deceased rented
apartment at Anipele Street, Olorunshogo at the Mushin area of
Lagos.After
falling inside the soak-away pit, it took men of the Fire Service five
hours before his body could be recovered from the put.

It was however too late as he had already died before his body was recovered.
A resident of the street, who spoke to Punch, revealed
that people living in the compound usually place their generators on
the soak-away pit which would have weakened the slab that covered the
pit.

The newspaper source revealed that neighbours
tried in vain to bring out the body before they called the Lagos State
Fire Service.
The firemen were said to have inserted pipes into the soak-away to drain the wastes after which the victim was brought out dead.
The Director of the Lagos State Fire Service, Rasak Fadipe, confirmed the incident to Punch and
warned the public to avoid using septic tank as a passageway or a
facility for storage of generators, which could weaken the slabs and
lead to avoidable disaster.

 

Tags:
shared on wplocker.com