Antony de Malmanche, New Zealander accused of smuggling drugs into Indonesia was set to kick off in Bali

February 17, 2015 3:39 pm

The trial of a New Zealander accused of smuggling drugs into Indonesia was set to kick off today.
Antony
de Malmanche, 52, was arrested at Denpasar International Airport and
charged with carrying 1.7kg of methamphetamine in his backpack on
December 1.
He had travelled to Hong Kong to meet his internet girlfriend, ‘Jessie’, before flying to .
The
Wanganui beneficiary has been in custody since and, if found guilty of
drug trafficking, could be sentenced to death – likely by firing squad.

’s lawyer says he’s the victim of human trafficking rather than a drug trafficker. Photo / AP
Today
de Malmanche’s lawyer, Craig Tuck, confirmed he was being transported
to court from the Kerobokan prison where he was being held close to the
Bali Nine inmates, who are facing execution.
Mr Tuck said the
trial would commence before a panel of three judges with the reading of
the indictment, which lists the death penalty as the maximum penalty for
drug importation.

An Indonesian legal team would then advise the court of
preliminary challenges to evidence “along with other associated
administrative matters such as clarification on aspects of the
indictment and timetabling”, Mr Tuck said.
Mr Tuck said the trial was expected to take at least six months with hearing time of only one day a week allocated.
A Givealittle page set up by de Malmanche’s family to help fund his legal fees has reached $13,850.
Meanwhile,
Peter Gardner, the 25-year-old New Zealander who could face the death
penalty in China on suspicion of drug smuggling, is still awaiting a
decision on whether his case will go to trial.
The New
Zealand-born Sydney resident has been in detention since his arrest on
November 8 in Guangzhou, where authorities allege he tried to smuggle
40kg of methamphetamine out of China.
Mr Tuck has also joined Gardner’s defence team and will travel to China soon to work with his client’s Chinese legal counsel.
“Mr Gardner has had his file transferred from the police to the prosecutor’s office,” Mr Tuck said in a statement today.
“He is detained in a cell while he awaits the decision about whether or not his case will proceed to trial.
“He is grateful for the love and support of his family and friends in New Zealand and Australia,” Mr Tuck said.
Gardner’s travelling partner, Sydney woman Kalynda Davis, 22, was released in December after a month in custody without charge.
When Ms Davis returned to Sydney, her father revealed she was cleared because she had carry-on luggage only.
She
had been shackled in a small cell during the 30-day interrogation, was
allowed no contact with the outside world and had her long, blonde hair
cropped.

Tags:
shared on wplocker.com